Do you have to pay insurance on a house you are not living in?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I am curious about this. I know a few people who buy houses and fix them up to either flip them or rent them out. A lot of times, they are sitting off the market for a good year or two. In that time, are you obligated to pay for house insurance or is this optional?

• This depends on your area. Some places allow you to not have any but from what I know, most will pressure you to have it. This is especially true for houses in more rural areas. If your house is away from other homes, it isn’t usually a big deal but you have to consider that insurance on that property will cover damages to neighboring houses in the event of a floor or fire.

• In my state, you do. The only reason you would not pay is if the house is considered unlivable. So if the water, gas, electric is shut off then you pay nothing.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.