How can I verify that a debt collector is legitimate?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have had several debt collection agencies call and send letters but to the best of my knowledge, I don’t owe what they are claiming. I am not sure what to make of this. How can I actually verify if the collector is legit?

• Alex R.

The easiest way is to ask them for their information. Ask for the name of the person calling you as well as the company name, street address, and phone number. If you live in a state that requires debt collection agencies to carry a license, then ask for the number of that. If you want to make it easy on yourself, just tell them you refuse to discuss any debt until a validation notice is issued to you.

• I never knew this! I would never have heard of asking for a letter. I even Googled it and you are 100% correct, this is a legit thing you can ask for and if they don’t supply it, you know they are lying! Nice!

• Brie Anna

Yeah, you can simply start asking them questions. If they can’t answer them or give the wrong information, then you know. A lot of these places that try to scam people will have old names, old addresses, and get things wrong.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.