How many cards do you currently have?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Most people I know have an average of around 8 or 9 which seems insanely high to me. I have 4 myself. Two of which are store credit cards. I feel like having anything over 5 is too much. I used to have 6 but I paid a few off. I don’t need all these credit lines open and I feel like the more you have going, the more you are likely to mess up your numbers.

• Vince

I have 4 main cards and one store card. One of the 4, I seldom use. It is just an emergency card. I mainly use it for mechanical stuff and to cover medical bills that pop up unexpectantly.

And yeah having that many cards does seem like a lot but I have known people who have had stacks of them. I am talking over 30 cards. I have no idea how but it happens!

• I have 6 and I am down from 13. It took me a good 5 years but I managed to cut my credit usage in half. I feel like back when I had that many cards, it was easier to fall behind for sure.

• Brie Anna

I have just 2 and my fiance has 3. So between the two of us as a couple, having only 5 is good I think! I don’t need more than two cards. I use one for weekly shopping and pay it back at the end of the month (I get paid once a month) and the other card is mainly for boosting my credit scores.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.