If I can pay off a card in full, should I?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Some people say that paying off your card too quickly can hurt your chances of bringing your credit scores up. I have enough right now to pay off one of my cards but I am wondering if I should just space this out for a few months instead of paying it all at once and being done with it.

• Sammy

From what I know, this depends on the amount you owe. Like if it is a smaller amount, you may as well just pay it off but if you owe more, put the money you have aside and make 2 payments a month. I built up my credit doing this. Shame it got hit hard from my other debts!

• Does making two payments a month really help?

I guess this means making a payment every time I get paid (bi-weekly). I have read good and bad things about this though. I will have to look into it more.

• I mean you can boost your scores if you pay it off slowly. Like Sammy mentioned, you can do two payments a month for say, 2 or 3 months instead of paying it all at once.

• Vince

I am of the mind that if you can pay it off and it will help you manage your finances better, then just do it. Things pop up and you might forget and then things just get pushed back further and further. Pay it off and just focus on your other cards and credit lines.

• Brie Anna

I have had the chance to do this and didn’t and regretted it. I have since paid it off and I don’t plan on making that mistake again! It is not worth holding onto. Stick to keeping just a few cards to keep your scores going up and get rid of extras!

Viewing 4 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.