Is a savings account a good idea these days?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I know part of living frugal means spending as little as possible. I have a standard savings account but I never use it. I feel like the way banks are these days, they hardly make it worth putting my money into a savings account. When I was younger, I remember the interest rate (for having money in your savings) was a lot better, you would actually see a good increase. Now, it takes hundreds of dollars just to see a buck or two. Hardly seems worth it.

• Dana

Regardless of interest, it is still good to have. I like to use mine as a “just in case” thing. I have a few thousand in mine at all times so if something comes up be it auto issues, medical issues, or an emergency of any kind, I have the money sitting there if I need it in a pinch. Better than taking out a loan!

• Yeah I have two, since I have two different bank accounts. They kind of make you have one these days when you sign up for a bank so if you find a bank that has it as an option, expect them to be charging insane fees for overdrafts!

• Some people would argue you are better off taking your extra income and putting it in crypto because the USD is going to crash. I mean, the way they are printing money and handing it out to people who just don’t want to work… I feel like it is only a matter of time before that bubble breaks and a lot of us get screwed over.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.