Is it possible to get into a career in IT without a degree?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • A friend of mine could not afford college but has been into computers since he was 12 years old. He knows how to fix them, build them, run servers, and diagnose issues. He even knows how to reverse hack a system to find viruses and malware. Is it possible to actually find a company that would hire you in the IT field without having any degrees if you can prove you know what you are doing?

• Sammy

Yeah, I think it is but this is a matter of knowing someone who knows someone. I can’t see a company hiring anyone without a good word if they don’t have the papers to prove they know what is required for the job.

• Seems like this is the case for most things. If you know the right people, you have a step up in life from the start. Sucks how that works out. I mean that is good you don’t need a degree but still. If you don’t know anyone, you are not as likely to get hired.

• I think it is but you really need to show you know what you are doing and I seldom hear of larger companies offering trials. You would likely be able to find work through a smaller company, they tend to be more family-oriented and willing to give people chances.

• Taking a free online courses in specific area in IT will give him a better chance of getting a job

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.