What are the downsides to doing an FHA loan?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • I want to know what the downsides are for this. It appears to give me more options as a first-time home buyer and I don’t need to have as big of a downpayment which will be helpful. I just want to know what the downsides are of this kind of loan before I decide this is what I will get.

• Allen

The only main one I can think of is that you have to pay monthly for mortgage insurance. This is not an optional thing. So you would be paying for house insurance and mortgage insurance which can be costly depending on the house size, location, and what kind of area the house is in.

• Vince

When you put down less than 20%, you must pay for mortgage insurance and this is by law. With the FHA, you are only expected to put down 3.5%. I think for people going with this option, you have to really consider if you can/should be buying a house. Ideally, you have anywhere from 20 to 35% of the house’s cost in the bank and ready to use. Also, you have to factor in closing fees which range from 3k to over 10k.

• Gray W.

I looked into this a few years back when I bought a house and it is true! We (my wife and I) ended up doing an FHA loan however because we didn’t have enough money saved up to pay the 20% down with closing fees.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.