Affording a house is hard in your 20’s!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I planned on owning a house by the time I was 25 and I am going to be 26 in a few months. I graduated from college in 2019 at the age of 23 and fully intended on being able to find a job and get a house within two years… That didn’t happen! In fact, I have yet to find a job in the field I went to school for and I have yet to pay any of my college debts off. I am still living with my parents as well. It sucks! I don’t know a single person in their 20’s who has a house and I remember growing up loads of people did, or at the very least had apartments.

• Nick

I know people in their 30s who are not having it any easier. I was able to buy in my 20s just fine but because of debts and poor financial choices, it quickly got the best of me. I am sure the market will go back down though. Just have to be patient.

• Alex R.

Unless you are very smart with your finance early on, you are not going to likely be owning a house until your late 20’s at the earliest so do not beat yourself up too much about that! Give yourself a few more years to sort things out. The worst thing you could do now is to rush into buying something you can’t sustain or afford long-term.

• Honey, I am in my 30s and can’t afford one either. LOL!

I think it is important that at least most adults (young adults) know this and don’t sign anything or get a loan they will never be able to pay off. At least we got that going for us!

Viewing 3 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.