Should you accept someone paying for the damages vs filing a claim?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I was rear-ended and the person who did it would rather cover the cost of the damages to my car vs filing a claim through insurance for the issue. I have never been in this kind of position and I am meant to give the person an estimate this weekend. Taking my car in tomorrow. Is this smart to do?

• Vince

I think this depends on the accident and the person. I personally would not risk that because they could just as easily show up with a check that bounces and leaves you covering the cost. I would just file the claim. People need to be responsible for their poor driving.

• I agree with Vince, this is a very dependable situation but at the same time, it is a risk. If it was a friend or family member, heck just someone I knew passively from work I would let them pay and not file anything but I would not risk this with a stranger.

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.