Who’s insurance pays in the event a tree falls over?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

My brother’s neighbor had a tree in his yard that was recommended he removed because it was rotted. Well, we just had a bad storm pass through and the tree fell over into my brother’s yard and landed right on his garage. The tree went right through the roof of the garage and damaged his wife’s car. The neighbor is refusing to do anything about it and avoiding them. Who’s insurance is meant to cover this?

• Vince

If your neighbor files, his insurance is only responsible for removing the tree.

If you file, your house will get repaired.

Your brother needs to be the one to file, otherwise, the garage will not get repaired, the tree will be removed, and nothing more. I know this is a stupid way of handling this but this is how it goes in most states.

• This happened to me, where I live. I rent so it was on the landlord and he was the one that filed. His neighbor (the guy living next to me with the tree issue) also filed after the fact and was told that his insurance can’t do anything about it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join a vibrant community with the sole mission to achieve financial independence.

The journey to financial freedom doesn't have to be lonely.

Pitch an idea

Contribute an article, share a story, join a group, or chat on the discussion board with similar frugal savvy individuals like yourself. Quality over quantity. Always.

Build great relations

Build connections, converse, and join the vibrant personal finance community. The journey to financial independence is just around the corner, and it doesn’t have to be lonely.

Become a FangWallet Insider

Get free access to becoming a FangWallet Insider, the personal finance community that has your best interest in mind.