This blog post may contain references to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products or services.
Blogging can be a profitable pastime. During the first year, bloggers may earn a decent $200 to $2,500/month, with established bloggers making up to $80,000/month.
Because of this, transforming a personal blog into a business has become more popular.
With the advancement of technology, users can now start a blog easily. The process only involves finding the right web host and blogging platform. Once set up, people may begin to write and build their portfolio, generating extra cash in the meanwhile.
In this article, we’ll cover ten ways to earn money blogging. Let’s dive right in.
1. Consider Affiliate Marketing
Affiliate marketing offers profitable collaboration opportunities between bloggers and advertisers. Being an affiliate, a writer will work on featuring unique affiliate links in their content pieces. Every time visitors make a purchase through those links, the affiliate blogger will receive a commission.
Remember to always choose companies that are in the same niche as your blog. Doing so helps maintain content consistency, improving your blog’s credibility. For example, if you run a beauty blog, approaching a skincare company is a good idea.
Here are some content ideas for bloggers to incorporate their affiliate links into:
- Product reviews. Affiliate marketing aims to help a company promote its products or services. Thus, writing reviews may be the perfect option. It allows bloggers to try the product themselves and give honest feedback.
- Product comparisons. Signing up for multiple affiliate programs may get you two or three affiliate links for similar products. Take advantage of this by comparing them.
- Tutorials. They can be about the products or services themselves or something that’s not directly related to them. For example, you can write about “How to Assemble a Bed Frame” or “Room Design 101” for the same affiliate link. The former is a more direct marketing approach.
On average, beginner affiliates may earn up to $300/day. However, it may fluctuate as there are a number of factors that affect how much an affiliate can make.
If you’re interested in this program but don’t know where to look, consider Amazon Associates and Affiliaxe. Both are two of the most profitable affiliate programs in 2021.
2. Become a Freelance Writer
Content is king in today’s digital marketing landscape. Business owners compete to get on Google’s first page to help their company reach a wider audience, generate more leads, and stand out from the crowd.
Unsurprisingly, many businesses are willing to pay freelance writers to help them create high-quality content pieces that rank.
As a blogger familiar with search engine optimization strategies, getting freelance writing jobs can be relatively easy. Have your portfolio ready for the pitch. Here are some tips for landing the perfect freelance writing gig:
Become an Insider
- Research the company. While it’s possible to write on completely different topics, you’ll feel more at ease covering something you know. Therefore, check if the company offering the job operates within your niche. Moreover, review the deadlines.
- Watch your pitching strategy. Using your published article portfolio, approach small to medium-sized businesses first to gain more authority. Only then should you go to your favorite brands to offer freelance writing services.
- Be flexible with your writing style. Each company has its own standard operating procedures for its content marketing. Thus, researching their style, voice, and tone before writing a content piece is vital. Being able to adjust to different writing styles may help you improve your writing skills.
Find a writing side job on freelance platforms like Contena or Upwork. On average, freelance writers can earn $24/hour. However, the pay depends on the topic. Some who write IT-related articles may expect to get $32/hour.
Displaying ads is among the most popular ways to make money blogging. If your blog experiences high traffic, take advantage of it by turning it into extra cash.
It’s essential to familiarize yourself with online advertising revenue models before displaying ads on your blog.
They may include cost per click and cost per mille. The former gets bloggers paid a specified amount of money every time visitors click on the displayed ads. The latter uses a thousand impressions as the payment threshold.
In addition, using reliable ad networks like Google AdSense and Media.net may help bloggers get advertisements quickly. Some platforms require stable recurring monthly traffic before allowing bloggers to use their services.
Ad revenue starts at $30/month on average. That said, the amount of money bloggers can make this way depends on their blog’s traffic and the selected online advertising pricing model.
4. Launch Online Courses
Launching an online course can be lucrative. This is because bloggers who write quality content on specific topics may give the impression that they’re experts in the field.
For example, if you’re writing about digital marketing, offering a premium search engine optimization course can help you make extra cash.
Bloggers can sell the online course on their own blog or online course platforms, such as Udemy and Thinkific. That said, online courses need to be strategically priced.
Promoting the online course is essential. Some great tips include leveraging social media marketing, email marketing, and Google Ads.
Sponsored social media posts allow bloggers to get paid for promoting advertisers’ products on their social media accounts. Many bloggers have a solid social media presence. Thus, this strategy may be attractive, although it doesn’t necessarily use a blogging platform.
The difference between a sponsored social media post and a paid ad is that the former blends well with the other content on the feed, making the marketing less aggressive. With that said, advertisers often let publishers make the sponsored content themselves.
Some of the most popular sponsored content types are:
- Sponsored pins on Pinterest.
- Instagram TV episodes.
- Instagram stories.
- TikTok videos.
- Sponsored tweets on Twitter.
- Facebook carousel.
- YouTube videos.
Using this strategy, bloggers can set a price for each sponsored post or repost. Generally, it’s between $15 and $200, depending on the number of followers and engagement rate.
6. Write Paid Reviews
Customer feedback is vital for any business. Apart from giving potential online shoppers clearer product insights, reviews also help a company grow.
Unsurprisingly, bloggers can now get paid to write reviews.
When doing sponsored reviews, select the opportunities that match your blog niche and reader base. For example, gardening tool reviews won’t make sense on a beauty blog – such content may not bring any value to readers.
Typically, businesses that sponsor paid reviews will contact high-traffic niche blogs for a sponsored post. However, bloggers can also find paid review opportunities on advertising platforms like RevContent and Influence Central.
A paid review blog post may earn beginners $10 to $25. The number may go up to $300, depending on the blog’s readership. Professionals may earn as much as thousands of dollars.
7. Offer Guest Post Opportunities
Guest-posting is another alternative to partnering with a company. This strategy enables bloggers to get paid for allowing a company to promote its products or services on their blog through written content.
Having an excellent blog helps attract companies in the same industry to submit their guest posts. Let’s look at some handy tips for landing guest posts:
- Make sure you have an uncluttered blog. First impressions matter. Therefore, ensure your blog’s design is clean and professional. Following web design trends helps prevent a blog from looking old-fashioned.
- Highlight some of your best-performing content. Showcasing the best articles on the homepage is among the best ways to draw advertisers to work with you.
- Create guest post guidelines. This may save you from having to answer the same questions repeatedly. The document may include writing style, minimum word count, and pricing guidelines.
- Show your blog stats. Providing information about monthly visitors, social media followers, and newsletter subscribers lets advertisers know if they’re investing their money in the right place.
Accepting guest posts helps bloggers make up to $750/month, depending on the article rate and maximum monthly posts.
8. Sell Digital Products
Digital products don’t have a physical form. Some of the most popular examples include e-books, website themes, mobile applications, and stock photos. Selling digital products can be a great way to earn passive income if you have the skills to create them.
Here are some reasons to try selling digital products:
- Boost creativity. Selling digital products lets bloggers unleash their creativity and promote their self-made products.
- Higher profit margins. As they sell their own products, there’s no need to worry about how much money they’ll earn from the sale.
- Lower cart abandonment rates. A high shipping cost is the number one cause for cart abandonment. Selling digital products minimizes the possibility of consumers not proceeding with their payment.
- No storage room is needed. With digital products, bloggers don’t have to worry about physical space to hold their inventory in.
Earnings from selling digital products vary. For example, stock images may cost between $0.50 and $9.50/photo. On the other hand, eBook pricing ranges between $2.50 and $4.50/book.
9. Create a Membership Community
Creating a membership community is a great way to generate predictable recurring monthly revenue. When well organized, a blogger’s income from memberships increases as the number of their members grows.
Community blogs encourage their readers to become premium members for perks like premium content and exclusive merch. With that said, determining benefits should be the first prioritywhen deciding to utilize this strategy.
Some of the best member rewards include:
- Exclusive content. Members are granted access to more content than regular blog visitors.
- Early content access. Offering this can help you improve your work. Consider the early publication for blog members as the beta version of the content piece. That way, you can gather insights from your members and use them to enhance the article.
- Support acknowledgment. This can be thanking your high-tier members on printed or published articles. Alternatively, you may also send them emails to let them know how grateful you are for their support.
- Monthly get-togethers. Some creators hold regular online events to meet with their blog members and keep them engaged.
Many bloggers utilize a paywall to inform their readers about the membership system. The feature will restrict user access to the full content before logging in.
Bloggers often set membership payments to monthly or yearly. Some factors to consider when choosing a price include the blog niche, competitive advantages, and potential customers.
In addition, it’s possible to level the membership. That way, bloggers can have a wider market reach.
10. Grow Your Email List
Email marketing is among the best making-money-online strategies for bloggers. It enables writers to promote paid subscriptions for premium content and broadcast online courses for their email list.
In general, bloggers will display a pop-up contact form on their homepage so that visitors fill it out. However, it’s possible that users will click the Close button without sharing their contact information.
Let’s look at these handy tips to get your visitors to fill out your contact form:
- Provide a referral program. Using this strategy, blog owners may offer their readers discounts and other benefits if they invite someone to attend an online course or workshop.
- Conduct a giveaway. Take advantage of such events to get participants to register by filling out a contact form.
- Offer a premium how-to series. Bloggers can break down an extensive guide into parts. This will encourage readers to register for full access to the materials.
All of the monetization strategies you’ve learned in this article can all be promoted through email marketing. Therefore, the amount of money you can make from email marketing depends on what you’re trying to promote through it.
The good news is that the average email marketing return on investment is $42 for every dollar spent.
In this article, we’ve covered the ten easy tips to make money blogging. Note that you don’t have to leverage all of them, as it may be very time-consuming. Choose the ones that suit your circumstances the best.
Here’s a short recap of different ways you can earn extra cash blogging:
- Consider affiliate marketing.
- Become a freelance writer.
- Add banner ads.
- Launch online courses.
- Monetize from sponsored social media posts.
- Write paid reviews.
- Offer guest post opportunities.
- Sell digital products.
- Create a membership community.
- Grow your email list.
Whichever methods you choose, we hope they help you earn extra money quickly. Good luck with your blogging monetization!
Editorial Disclaimer: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned and has not been endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author's alone
The content of this website is for informational purposes only and does not represent investment advice, or an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security, investment, or product. Investors are encouraged to do their own due diligence, and, if necessary, consult professional advising before making any investment decisions. Investing involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses may occur.