This blog post may contain references to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products or services.
As a college student, you may be wondering how to generate extra means of income. Thanks to Prop 22 passing and the existence of independent contractors being feasible for just about anyone who has a drivers license, just about anyone can work for some of the top food delivery services in the industry like DoorDash, Uber Eats, Grubhub, and Postmates to generate some serious extra income.
Gone are the days where one may have to set-up their own business or lemonade stand. Thanks to the existence of the gig economy, there are a plethora of options to generate some serious change from side hustles like food delivery through services like DoorDash and Uber Eats with little to no disruption to your college class schedule.
Thankfully, we have done the research and the best food delivery service to work for in our honest opinion is Uber Eats after considering a number of factors including safety, benefits, and pay compared to its competitors.
Become an insider
Make passive money the right way. No spam.
- Why Uber Eats is the best food delivery service to work for?
- How do Uber Eats Drivers get paid and how much?
- Benefits of driving for Uber Eats as a college student
- What are the Uber driver car requirements?
- How do I sign-up to become an Uber Driver and apply for Uber Eats
- What if I don’t have a car? Can I use a rental car to make money?
Why Uber Eats is the best food delivery service to work for?
Ever since Prop 22 passed, Uber Eats has upped its game and have made a number of radical changes to its programs without sacrificing any of the incentive, bonus pays, and perks for drivers. In other words, its a win-win for Uber and drivers.
Prop 22 benefits for Uber Eats Drivers
Because of the passing of Prop 22 in California, Uber has introduced new benefits for drivers without sacrificing the flexibility of drivers giving up the status of an independent contractor so you can work at any given moment at the comfort of your own schedule.
- Healthcare contributions for drivers who work at least 15 hours a week
- Occupational accident insurance to cover medical bills for injuries sustained while driving or delivering
- A minimum earning guarantee that is 120% of minimum wage for engaged time and includes an additional $0.30/mile for expenses, with no upper limit on drivers’ ability to earn more
- Ontop of any existing program perks at Uber Eats that you know and love.
In other words, as a driver for Uber, you get both the safety features of the app built in to ensure a seamless driving experience with little to no interruption when you are on the road while benefiting from these new program perks.
How do Uber Eats Drivers get paid and how much?
Uber Eats Drivers gets paid on a weekly basis by direct deposit to your bank. You can also request for expeditated cash outs with Uber for a small fee.
On average, Uber Eats drivers gets paid around $15, but with the introduction of guaranteed 120% of minimum wage since the passing of Prop 22 and the existence of program perks, you can make anywhere ranging from $15-$25 per hour just delivering food for Uber Eats.
Benefits of driving for Uber Eats as a college student
Uber Eats is one of the more accessible food delivery platforms in that not only can you offer ride-sharing services, you also get the ability to offer food delivery services. In other words, you get the opportunity to earn from both opportunities rather than just one. Uber is known to be among the most popular ride share and food delivery app out there so expect sheer volume of orders when delivering with Uber Eats.
What are the Uber driver car requirements?
Uber Eats vets their applicants and have a certain minimum criteria in order to be an eligible driver for Uber.
- Meet the minimum age to drive in your city
- Have at least one year of licensed driving experience in the US (3 years if you are under 23 years old)
- Have a valid US driver’s license
- Use an eligible 4-door vehicle
- A valid US driver’s license
- Proof of residency in your city, state, or province
- Proof of vehicle insurance if you plan to drive your own car
- A driver profile photo
- Must be a forward-facing, centered photo including the driver’s full face and top of shoulders, with no sunglasses
- Must be a photo only of the driver with no other subject in the frame, well-lit, and in focus; it cannot be a driver’s license photo or other printed photograph
Uber background check
After signing up, you can complete a screening online. It will review your driving record and criminal history.
How do I sign-up to become an Uber Driver and apply for Uber Eats
To check for eligible, exclusive sign-up bonus promotions and sign-up to become an Uber Driver, click the link below.
What if I don’t have a car? Can I use a rental car to make money?
The answer is yes. We recommend using an established car rental program in HyreCar. HyreCar is the leading car rental company for gig economy gigs like Uber Eats, DoorDash, Postmates, and Instacart. Take advantage of this limited offer from HyreCar and claim a car rental today.
Editorial Disclaimer: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned, and has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author's alone
The content of this website is for informational purposes only and does not represent investment advice, or an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security, investment, or product. Investors are encouraged to do their own due diligence, and, if necessary, consult professional advising before making any investment decisions. Investing involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses may occur.