This blog post may contain references to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products or services.
Uber Eats is a subsidiary of Uber, which offers a variety of services under its umbrella. If you want to drive for the food delivery arm of Uber, here are some things to know:
- You must have a valid driver’s license and meet the driver requirements for your area.
- You must own a smartphone with the Uber driver app installed.
- You must provide a Social Security Number and mailing address
- If driving a motorized vehicle, it must be insured, younger than 15 years old, and have minimal cosmetic damage
- You must be at least 18 years old.
Uber Eats drivers average around $18 an hour, and have access to several perks and benefits, such as increased earning opportunities during Surge hours, completing Quests, and earning points in Uber’s Pro program. Uber has several driver safety features built into its driver app, and offers minimal vehicle insurance and payment through an Uber-issued debit card as well as direct deposit.
Postmates is a delivery service that specializes in delivering just about anything. It was acquired by Uber, and thus Postmates drivers must typically adhere to Uber’s driver requirements. To drive for Postmates, drivers should meet the following:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Make use of a vehicle capable of delivering large items, and the vehicle must be insured.
- Own a smartphone with the driver app installed.
- Have a valid driver’s license for the area where they will be working.
- Present a social security number for a background check.
- Pass a criminal background and driving record check
Postmates drivers make about $29 an hour, and the company offers instant payouts, along with scheduled direct deposits. Postmates provides driver support through the application.
DoorDash specializes primarily in restaurant takeout and grocery delivery. Drivers who want to work for DoorDash should meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Own a smartphone with the DoorDash app installed.
- Have a valid driver’s license for the vehicle used, and insurance.
- Be eligible to drive in the delivery area.
DoorDash drivers can deliver on foot or in any vehicle, as long as they are covered by insurance. DoorDash also provides its own coverage and liability insurance for drivers, and “Dashers” can expect to make between $18-$22 an hour depending on the number of hours they work and demand in their area.
The three companies reviewed here only differ from each other in small ways. Uber provides the most perks for drivers, and Uber Eats drivers can switch over to ferrying passengers or other Uber services if they meet the requirements for those, without having to go through the signup process a second time. However, Uber Eats is not as commonly used as DoorDash for food delivery, and Postmates, while it might pay more, tends to have the least amount of work of all three companies overall. If you are considering working for Uber Eats vs Postmates vs Doordash, consider the various ways in which they differ before making your choice.
1. What should drivers for all three of these services keep in mind?
Drivers for all of these services are contract employees and are responsible for their own insurance, costs, and vehicle expenses. They also file 1099 forms for their taxes. As self-employed workers, they will not qualify for unemployment.
2. What training is available for new drivers of these services?
DoorDash and Uber offer video training courses for new drivers, but most new drivers learn from YouTube channels of veteran drivers or from discussion forums for drivers.
Become an Insider
Editorial Disclaimer: The editorial content on this page is not provided by any of the companies mentioned and has not been endorsed by any of these entities. Opinions expressed here are author's alone
The content of this website is for informational purposes only and does not represent investment advice, or an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security, investment, or product. Investors are encouraged to do their own due diligence, and, if necessary, consult professional advising before making any investment decisions. Investing involves a high degree of risk, and financial losses may occur.